1. Dogs and humans need essential fatty acids, namely linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha linolenic acid (omega-3). They are essential because the body cannot make them and must rely on plant or sources. Corn and canola are the richest sources of these essential fatty acids in a preformed, ready-to-use-by-the-body form.
2. The essential acids in cottonseed, flaxseed, sesame, sunflower, safflower, olive, palm, peanut or walnut are in an unrefined form that the body needs to convert before it can be used by the body. Think of it like this-Your car cannot run on crude oil (unrefined) straight from the oil well. It must be refined and converted to gasoline (preformed) before it can be pumped to make your car run smoothly.
3. Mammals, humans and dogs, refine or convert oils very poorly and the conversion efficiency is based on the sex, age and medical condition of the mammal. We simply have no way of knowing how much refining or conversion will occur if oils other than corn and canola are used in the diet.
4. Coconut oil is the worst as it contains virtually no essential fatty acids and they are in the unrefined form.
5. Dogs fed oils other than corn or canola cannot run smoothly and as the months and years pass, their coats become dull and brittle and their immune systems become weakened and they are susceptible to disease and illness.
Yes, corn and canola oil are commonly GMO crops and are chemically processed with hexane. We have solved those problems for our customers. We offer corn and canola oils made from GMO-free seeds and plants. The oil is extracted from the seeds by pressing rather than chemical extraction. This ensures the best essential fatty acids for you dog’s health and is safer than market oils.